11/27 Update: The information in this post is not correct. Please see this updated post about the Cannon CS24 at Costco here.
I know, I know, I am a geek at heart. I have written several other times about Cannon Safe deals at Costco. I guess for me, when I see a great deal, I need to analyze it to see why/if it is a good value. Costco’s latest coupon book (that get’s sent to all its members), features the Cannon Safe CS24 Executive Safe. Unfortunately, as always, Costco is pretty short with details.
Knowing the Cannon Safe line pretty well, I dug into find out what this is. Some of this information is based upon an on-line chat with the Cannon Safe sales rep and other is based upon the Safari line information on the Cannon Safe website. Here is what I found:
- The Safari line of safes is considered Cannon’s entry level model that they use to hit a price point to compete with other lesser gun safe manufacturers.
- This CS24 safe is considered a 24 gun safe.
- I believe this model is similar to (but not the exact same safe as) the Safari Series 5526 (which is priced at $868 on the Cannon Website) which has:
- 1″ active-lock bolts
- Internal hinges
- Composite door
- Pre-drilled bottom for mounting to floor-very important
- According to the sales guy:
- This gun safe has a 12 gauge steel body, which is good, but not great by gun safe standards. Compare this to the Sturdy Gun Safes that have a whopping 7 gauge steel (more than twice as thick-but also more than 3x the price!).
- This unit has a 1 year warranty that only covers the lock and workmanship (manufacturing defects). You don’t get the amazing lifetime warranty that is standard on higher end Cannon Safe models that includes 100% replacement for the safe after a fire or burglary attempt/entry. This is one of the best warranties in the safe business.
- It does come with a nice 3 spoke handle in high gloss black.
- Since it is a uni-body construction (made of 1 piece of steel bent 3 ways), it is more difficult to pry open
- It also features a UL listed solenoid electronic lock which is protected by 3 layers of extra hard, 60+ RC steel hard-plates that protect the lock. These double sided rugged pieces of steel stop a burglar from tampering with your lock and gaining access.
- This safe is labelled as having a 30 minute fire protection, which is adequate for most home use.
All in all, this is decent safe at a great price ($549). The biggest item that you are losing when purchasing this safe is the lifetime warranty, but you would have to spend almost 2x more to get into the Cannon Scout line for that.